Wednesday 11 February 2009

How I HATE Resin!!!


At last I have been able to get into the workshop & actually make a start on some of the pieces that had to be put "on hold" while I was away babysitting....have I mentioned that I only have 14 days at home before my babysitting services are needed for another 3 weeks...Oh dear, I'm going to have to be burning the midnight oil in the "mini sweatshop" for the next week or so!!

I'm getting off the subject though...I just had to vent my feelings about working with resin...horrible, sticky & non-removable stuff that it is! It seems to have a mind of it's own. No matter how careful I am when using it, I always end up with it all over my hands, where it stubbornly stays for hours, & whatever surface I happen to be using. Then, just when I think I've got it under control, the damn stuff refuses to set as quickly as I want it to!

Whilst making this clam chowder set for a commission order I found myself still sitting at 2.00am waiting for the resin to set to just the correct consistency to allow me to balance the ladle in just the right place!

I was so pleased to be done with the horribly sticky willful stuff, imagine how I felt when the customer requested a carafe & filled glasses of white wine to be added to the set......argh...more resin! I haven't quite plucked up the will to get it out again so in the picture the carafe & glasses are still empty!


7 comments:

Debbie said...

Oh how I know that feeling... Sticky Sticky stuff..

Rachel said...

I tried resin for the first time last week, and yes it sticky even I washed my hands. >.<

Love your mini-food. They are totally fabolous! :)

Rachel :)

Stephanie Kilgast said...

hahahaha!
Still didn't try. I just filled some coffee cups with glass paint XD you all make me nervous! I'm now really afraid of resin (which is sitting at home since 6 months or so...)

Good luck with the wine...

linsminis said...

Oh Stephanie, don't be too frightened of the stuff...just have plenty of nail polish remover at hand & plenty of cloths to clean you & your work surcace up!! LOL.
Rachel..."thank you"..I love your work too & Debbie..just how do you find the time to work on such a great blog??!

Debbie said...

Lin I'm up early and go to bed very late, or else I'd never fit everything in.. LOL

Sumaiya Mehreen said...

Yay! you are blogging! Finally! :D

I will stay glued to this blog, and will be stealing photos from here to post on the Mini Food Blog (unless you, being the sweetheart you are, repost these posts on the minifood blog)...

Hugs

linsminis said...

LOL! Oh Sumaiya...I hope I don't disappoint you..finding the time to blog is pretty hard! Feel free to take whatever you want..assuming I get round to posting more! Mini hugs, Linda